Note: Download Workflow Template files here.
This process describes how you can leverage Okta Workflows to push visitors and their metadata into Pendo Adopt. Pendo recommends this approach, as Okta Workflows allows you to automatically update visitor metadata on a scheduled basis.
Workflow Template files, download here.
Pendo Adopt Admin user permissions
Okta Workflows Super Admin user permissions
Create Okta & Pendo Connections
1. Navigate to the Connections tab in Okta. You need to set up two Connection applications, one for Okta and one for the Pendo Launcher.
2. Click "+ New Connection" and select the pink Pendo connector.
3. Name the connector in the Connection Nickname field. The integration key is generated in Pendo Adopt.
4. In Pendo Adopt, navigate to Settings > Integrations, click Generate Integration Key, add a recognizable name, check Allow Write Access, and save to create a new key. Copy the new integration key.
5. Return to Okta Workflows and paste the integration key into the Integration Key field, then click Create. This completes adding the Pendo Adopt connector.
The Pendo application will have a green check mark indicating the connection to the application is working.
6. Click + New Connection to add the Okta connector. Select the blue Okta connector.
7. Fill out the Connection Nickname, Domain, Client ID, and Client Secret fields according to Okta's Connect your applications article.
8. This creates the Okta connector. The Okta connector appears as an application in your Connections tab.
The new application will have a green check mark indicating the connection to the application is working.
Create New Folder
1. In Okta Workflows, click the blue plus button to create a new folder and name it.
2. Click the gear settings icon next to the new folder and import the workflow template files.
3. Turn on each of the Helper flows (flows that begin with the label SubFlow).
1. Open the SubFlow - Load Temp Table into Pendo subflow.
2. In this subflow, confirm the Pendo connection (1) is pointed to the connection you set up previously. Select the Options dropdown (2) underneath the Connections field.
3. Email is used as the key for identifying your users in Pendo by default. The key passed into this field is passed into Pendo as the visitor ID, not as a metadata field.
If you use a field other than email to identify your users in Pendo, change this value to match that field.
Optional: To create users in Pendo who exist in Okta but have not installed the Pendo extension, click the Create Non-existing User dropdown (2) in the Push User List with Metadata card and select Yes. When Yes is selected, Okta adds the visitor into Pendo if the user doesn't already exist as a visitor in the Subscription. The newly created visitor's metadata is visible in the Visitor's agent block.
8. Click the flow titled, "Bulk Load - Read All Okta Users and Sync to Pendo".
9. Navigate to the List Users with Filter card and confirm your Okta connection has been selected. No other configuration is necessary.
Configuring Custom Metadata Fields
1. Click the "SubFlow - Get User Keys" flow.
2. Navigate to the List Users with Filter card and confirm your Okta connection is selected.
3. Click the play button labeled Test this card and run the test.
4. In the Raw Output box, there is a field called profile. The fields inside the profile object are the Okta fields that can be pushed to Pendo. Make note of which fields you want to import, the names are case sensitive.
5. Add the fields you selected in the previous step by adding a new item field in the List Construct card. Keys passed into the item field are the keys passed into Pendo.
6. Click the Save button located in the top left corner of the screen.
Activate Data Flow
Important: The following steps begin pushing metadata from Okta into Pendo. Verify all previous steps are completed correctly before continuing.
1. Turn on both the Event-Triggered Load - User Creation and Event-Triggered Load - User Update cards. This is done via the toggle in the ON/OFF column.
2. Click the Bulk Load - Read All Okta Users to Pendo and Sync to Pendo card.
3. Click the Test button to execute this flow. THIS IS NOT A TEST. This loads all of your users into Pendo. It will take 30 - 60 seconds for every batch of 500 users.
Note: If you expect to load more than 50,000 users into Pendo, you may run into timeout or memory overflow issues on Okta. If you do run into this issue, contact your Pendo Representative for support batch loading your users.
4. The metadata fields you've configured in Okta appear in the Metadata tab of Pendo Adopt settings. Configure the Type for each metadata field. For example, okta_email has the Type set to Text.
It may take 15 minutes after your first batch completes for new fields to populate.
Note: Each metadata field configured in Okta has an "okta" prefix so it's easily identifiable. Rename these fields if you desire. Once they are configured, they can be used in custom segments, which can be applied throughout the Adopt product.